Thursday, August 14, 2025

A certain world & commonplace books


Came across the book A Certain World, Commonplace book by W H Auden. Quoting its Foreword in entirety. (I am just two pages in the book)









I guess I really enjoy such books that a) open many doors to unknown thoughts, authors, ideas and b) serve as a mental landscape of these writers.

I am thinking of Milosz and his idea of ABC which takes from the Hungarian idea of a personal ABC. Anthologies which are personal in nature - Primo Levi, In Search of Roots. And then Coelho's Inspirations - another anthology.


Booklist
On discussing with AI, a few other ideas come up. Noting them for exploration by and by:
  • A Certain World – W.H. Auden
  • The Commonplace Book of Robert Louis Stevenson – RLS
  • The Notebooks of Joseph Joubert – Joseph Joubert
  • The Pillow Book – Sei Shōnagon
  • The Journal of Jules Renard – Jules Renard
  • A Writer’s Notebook – Somerset Maugham
  • Commonplace Book 1919–1931 – E.M. Forster
  • The Commonplace Book of George Eliot – ed. J.W. Cross
  • A Private Mythology – John Ashbery
  • The Portable Paradise – John Julius Norwich
  • The Reader Over Your Shoulder – Robert Graves & Alan Hodge
  • Leaves from the Notebook of a Tamed Cynic – Reinhold Niebuhr
  • The Search for Roots – Primo Levi
  • Inspirations – Paulo Coelho
  • A Personal Anthology – Jorge Luis Borges
  • My Life in Verse – Ruth Padel
  • The Education of a Wandering Man – Louis L’Amour
  • The Rag and Bone Shop of the Heart – Bly, Hillman, Meade
  • This I Believe – ed. Jay Allison, Dan Gediman
  • The Education of a Wandering Man – Louis L’Amour
  • This I Believe (original 1950s series & later revival)
  • The Company of Strangers – Paul Theroux
  • The Art of the Commonplace (Wendell Berry)
  • The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa
  • The Burning Forest by Barry Lopez
  • Reflections on a Marine Venus by Lawrence Durrell

No comments:

Post a Comment